What a horrible morning. Steve was not feeling well so when I got up at 8am, he was back in bed. The morning went on as usual. Snuggles with Charlotte and then breakfast. About 10am we were playing in the front room, Steve had just got and was at the top of the stairs. I looked out the window and our quiet morning ended. When I looked out the window I saw 2 dogs charge into my neighbors garage across the street. He does not own dogs, but he does have 2 cats that live in the garage. I yelled to Steve " Al's cats are being attacked by dogs". I will not go into detail of what I saw but they were outside with the cat I saw it all. He was out the door so fast. When I looked out the window again, he and Al we out were on the lawn and the dogs were gone, and the cat was lying on the lawn. The dogs were Pit bulls.
Just one of Al's cats got injured. Steve took off after the dogs bare foot through the neighborhood, and Al joined him once he got off the phone with the Police.Bonnie got the Cat covered with blankets,and we stayed behind and comforted her while waiting for Animal Control and the Police. This poor cat kept moving, crawling on the grass. She was a stray and had a litter. Al and his wife kept the mom( the one hurt) and one baby. I saw both cats run into the garage and we think she was trying to protect her baby, and then tried to get away and that is when the dog got her.
Not 10 minutes later the dogs were back. I of course darted as fast as I could across the street and in the house since I had Charlotte, and Bonnie stayed with the cat. The dogs stopped for a moment and then continued down the street. Al followed them down an adjoining street, Steve followed and then our neighbor Kelly joined in the hunt for Dogs, and our other neighbor Steve. The guys finally got the dogs cornered into a backyard. Animal Control showed up at Al's and we sent her over to where the dogs were being held. She had no problem picking up the dogs. She said they were "very friendly" almost "overly friendly" dogs and it is just dog instinct to go after cats, which I totally dis-agree with. I have never met someone who worked for animal control who is so insensitive. This mans cat was just severely hurt, nearly torn apart by 2 dogs and she had the nerve to say " it is dog instinct to attack cats". Mille would never just go after a cat. NEVER. The cop said to me " it was only a cat". Maybe to you, but not to me and not to Al and his wife.
After things had settled down, and Charlotte was down for a nap....I lost it. You all know that I an a huge cat lover, but I think what really got to me was actually seeing it right. it has been playing over and over in my head all day. This afternoon we checked in and the cat was still alive, and they were getting ready to take her to the vet. They still are not home, so there is no update on her condition.
I really think this is going to haunt me for a while. Also, I think my animals know something happened. They have all been acting a little different today.
*** UPDATE***
This morning 6/16/2010 Pepper had to be put to sleep to her injuries. Her white blood cell count was gone, and her immune system was so down her back end was starting to rot. We are so sad about this whole thing. I have still not sleep well since the event, and I continue to see it play out in my head. Pepper will be buried in her backyard.
2 comments:
That WOULD be a horrible thing to watch! Very violent. My friends dog (also a pit bull)ran right into a neighbors house to get to her cat and ended up KILLING it IN THE HOUSE. I guess this neighbor has had several problems with my friends dog trying to get to her cats. I dont know what I expect animal control to do (my friend loves her dog as much as my neighbor loves her cats) but it seems like they should at LEAST fine them everytime in hopes of making sure these damn dogs cant run the neighborhood like that! Even though it was my friends dog (and she felt bad) I obviously feel way more sorry for the neighbor..shes not even safe in her own house??? And now I am not comfortable when my friend lets her dog run around with them while they are outside..they live across the street from us and who is to say it wont attack Maddox or something? Anyway--sorry I rambled. And Im sorry you had to see that.
I don't blame you for being upset! I def have a prejudice against pit bulls. It happens all too often.
Post a Comment