Saturday, November 6, 2010

Struggle

I don't know who is having a harder time with this. Me, or Charlotte. On Monday I started weening her from the bottle. It the beginning it was not that bad since she still got her bottle at nap time, and at bedtime. Well, now she does not get it at all and we are really struggling. She is crying a lot more, and so am I. She is getting frustrated more, and so am I. She cries every time we get in the car, every time she naps, every time it is bed time, every time she wants her bottle for comfort. I am slowly loosing it from the constant crying and the tantrums. I did expect there to be some of all the above but not this much.

Maybe it is all my fault. Should I have weened it from her sooner? Have I been to harsh in my removal of the bottle? She has gone 2 long/hard days without it now and everyday I think about giving it back. Just to make things easier. I am really struggeling and I have no idea what to do, and honestly I am not sure how much longer I can do this.

Thank goodness she never had a Binky. I can not image having to do this with a Binky and then a bottle.

4 comments:

Mom of three ♥ said...

Sorry you are struggling with this! I know it is hard, but my advice is not to give it back.. You have gone for days with out it and I think giving it back and then having to take it away again will be harder.
My kids went for a few days with the tantrums as well and I thought I was going to lose it myself. But everyone kept telling me it was a good thing to get rid of it when I did and I am glad that I did not give in to them wanting it back!
I just would tell them that they were big kids now and they drink out of big kid cups. ( Sippy Cups) and with in a week they were over it and did just fine.
Anyway we all have to go through it and that is just my own advice to you, keep what you are doing and don't give in!!
Good Luck girl!

Erin said...

I agree. DO NOT give it back, Kerr. It would only get harder. It WILL get easier from here on out though. I cried when we took Kyle's binky away but he got over it within a day or two. Char will too. Just remember, we're here for you, babe. We've been there too!

Brianna said...

I agree...once you start you canNOT go back!! It will only make things worse for both of you. It sucks and for future reference I would take the bottle away right when they turn 1. It seems like there is a small window at that age where its not quite as hard. I also always tried NOT to make the bottle a part of their nighttime ritual (ie: giving it to them IN bed..which I know is hard to do haha) because then it makes it harder for them when you take that away. Stick to your guns it will probably literally stop overnight. Good luck and I will be praying for you ;)

Amber said...

Don't give up....it does get better over time. I took the bottle away when Hailey was 1 and we struggled with naps and bedtime after that. I never gave her a bottle in bed but it had been part of rocking her to sleep. So we had to start all over with a bedtime routine for naps and bed. It seems like giving it back now would make things better but in the long run it will make it harder when you have to start taking it away again. I know it sucks....good luck!!